PinIt

Friday, May 31, 2013

Fabulous picture frames (knock off)

There is this website, theorganicbloom.com/ and they have beautiful and unique wood picture frames. They come in a ton of colors. I love them. The are so cool looking but when I went to their site to look up the prices, I was shocked! The frames range anywhere from $55 - $450. Maybe to some people that is a reasonable price, but it blows my mind! 
Aren't they cute!? Well they say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery so this tutorial is just that.... a knock off. AND it is going to be so much less expensive then if you were to purchase them from their website.


(I think I'm going to do this with Red and Off White and do Christmas pictures and use those removably sticky things to hang them just for the holiday season) Buy the wood plaques at a craft store, paint and mod podge the pic onto them. Could also look awesome in a distressed black or white
I went to Micheal's and walked through their unfinished wood isles. They have wood plaques in different sizes and shapes. I'm pretty sure that most any craft store should carry these as well. The great thing about these plaques is that they are between $ .79 - $4.00 a piece. I grabbed a variation of sizes and took them home. I put them all on the ground and one by one, I gave each plaque 3 coats of paint in fun and bright colors. Once the paint was dry I took them out to the garage and sanded all of the edges to give them a older roughed up look.
Then I took them back in and put them on the floor arranging and rearranging the soon to be frames, to get the best layout for the wall I am going to put them on. Once you like a particular arrangement, get a pad of paper and a pen and sketch out the arrangement so you don't forget where everything is going to go. I found the center on the back of each one of the frames and marked it, then gave them over to my husband who used a keyhole router bit to make them easy to hang.
I ran to walmart and printed out some instant photos in black and white. To adhere them to the frames I just brushed on some Mod Podge to the back of the photos and smoothed them out on the plaque.

I love them! I think they are adorable! Do they look exactly like OrganicBlooms frames? No. Do they resemble them close enough to give that same feeling? Absolutely. My phone pictures do not do them justice. Are they way less inexpensive then the OrganicBloom frames? Heck Yes!

I hope you try this one out. So fun, so easy, so inexpensive!

I put them up on the wall in the stairway while my husband was sleeping but, he saw them on his way to work in the morning. When he got home that day he gushed at how great they looked up on the wall and how happy he was with them. If he likes them then I know I did good!

Just imagine the cute photo collections you could create! I plan on making more at some point to continue to fill up some more space on this wall. But for now they are high enough to keep my kids from grabbing at them on their way downstairs. What do you think? I would love to hear what you would do differently. Leave a comment bellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment